Strain is the relative deformation produced by stress.
Fortunately, the new flu strain turned out to be much milder than expected.
It's currently unclear how effective the current vaccines are against the new strain.
Remove any froth from the surface with a spoon and strain the mixture to make it smooth.
Strain analysis is another important technique of structural geology.
Devices like MyndYou and Hive Link exist to alleviate the strain on social and health services.
Most years the flu is an A strain of influenza, with a B strain showing up towards the end.
In the United States a Polled Hereford strain was developed around 1900 by selecting naturally hornless registered Herefords.
But if this strain is indeed more transmissible, we may start seeing increasing proportion of infections by this strain."
The team injected cells from one inbred strain directly into immunologically immature late foetuses of a different strain.
A strain on the hospital systems means a strain on the ability to care for all patients, both COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 folks.”
Citrus trees are inoculated with an attenuated strain of tristeza virus, which effectively controls the virulent strain that causes the disease.
Neither strain seems to be more deadly, though a more contagious strain spreading widely could cause more total deaths than a deadlier strain.
This has been documented with diseases like dengue fever, where antibodies made in response to one strain of dengue virus cause problems if infected by another strain.
First, the amount of Cry found in maize pollen varies from strain to strain; Dr Losey may have been unlucky in his original choice, and picked a particularly toxic one.
Since strain A produces no viable pollen, it will be pollinated by strain B, and all seeds produced on strain A plants must therefore be F1 hybrids between the strains.
After inbreeding each strain for several generations, the researcher starts crossbreeding by taking pollen from the tassel of a plant having one desirable strain and dusting it on the silk of a plant with some other strain.
Currently, there are no tests designed to detect this exact coronavirus strain, since 'coronavirus' refers to a family of viruses that cause common colds, Chiu said, and current coronavirus tests that doctors use can't detect the Wuhan coronavirus strain.
The South African variant, B.1.351, was found to be eight times more prevalent among vaccinated patients while the UK strain, B.1.1.7, was more prevalent among partially vaccinated patients, though the fully-vaccinated showed increased protection against the UK strain.
“You have got the coronavirus family and one strain is MERS, one strain is Sars-CoV-1, one strain is Sars-CoV-2 and another strain would be OC43 – one of the common colds,” said ProfLawrence Young, virologist and professor of molecular oncology at the University of Warwick.
- to exert much effort or energy
Example: straining our ears to hear
- (physics) deformation of a physical body under the action of applied forces
- difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
Example: she endured the stresses and strains of life
- test the limits of
- use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity
- a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence
- separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements
- (psychology) nervousness resulting from mental stress
Example: his responsibilities were a constant strain
- a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
- cause to be tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious
- become stretched or tense or taut
- (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
Example: a new strain of microorganisms
- injury to a muscle (often caused by overuse); results in swelling and pain
- remove by passing through a filter
- the general meaning or substance of an utterance
- rub through a strainer or process in an electric blender
- an effortful attempt to attain a goal
- alter the shape of (something) by stress
- an intense or violent exertion
- the act of singing
On this page, there are 20 sentence examples for strain. They are all from high-quality sources and constantly processed by lengusa's machine learning routines.
Just use the " " button to fragment sentence examples and start your learning flow.
Example output from one of your searches: