By 1866 he had a successful torpedo.
Make a torpedo shape at the bottom of each fillet.
It was then joined by four torpedo boats, who promptly surrounded the Pueblo.
When an oblong piece was lifted out, one of the onlookers remarked that it might have been part of the PT — patrol torpedo — boat’s engine.
The ship sank within 20 minutes of being hit by a German torpedo.
The attack of Torpedo Squadron 8 on the Soryu was an unmitigated disaster.
Russian authorities later determined the vessel sank after a torpedo on board unexpectedly exploded.
World War II also saw the introduction of torpedo-carrying aircraft and homing, or acoustic, torpedoes.
Almost simultaneously, 17 Dauntlesses that had accompanied the Yorktown torpedo attack group dove on the Soryu.
Originally the word torpedo referred to any explosive charge, including the type of weapon now known as a mine (q.v.).
The term destroyer was first used for the 250-ton vessels built in the 1890s to protect battleships from torpedo boats.
As a defense against this new fast threat, Britain deployed oversized torpedo boats, calling them torpedo boat destroyers.
This group intercepted a Japanese surface force about 1:15 am in the early hours of June 4 and carried out a torpedo attack and strafing run.
During World War I Edison headed the Naval Consulting Board for the government and directed research into torpedo mechanisms and antisubmarine devices.
In addition, 24 3-inch quick-firing guns, 5 Maxim machine guns, and 4 torpedo tubes were added for fighting off destroyers and torpedo boats.
First tested in the presence of Habsburg naval officers in 1866, the torpedo was invented in Rijeka and remained at the centre of its manufacturing industry for 100 years.
With its double-layered hull, this class of submarine, known as the Oskar-2, was designed to withstand torpedo attacks, while packing enough punch to sink aircraft carriers.
Torpedo, cigar-shaped, self-propelled underwater missile, launched from a submarine, surface vessel, or airplane and designed for exploding upon contact with the hulls of surface vessels and submarines.
Norquist said he's already put out the word that Biden's proposed corporate tax increases would torpedo everyone's 401(k)s, alerting ATR members that their stock-heavy retirement accounts will take a hit if companies pull back to stave off higher tax bills.
The device — images of which first surfaced on Russian state television in 2015 — is an underwater nuclear torpedo designed to hit the ocean floor, kicking up a radioactive tsunami that could spread deadly radiation over thousands of miles of land, rendering it uninhabitable.
- attack or hit with torpedoes
- a professional killer who uses a gun
- a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
- an explosive device that is set off in an oil well (or a gas well) to start or to increase the flow of oil (or gas)
- a small firework that consists of a percussion cap and some gravel wrapped in paper; explodes when thrown forcefully against a hard surface
- a small explosive device that is placed on a railroad track and fires when a train runs over it; the sound of the explosion warns the engineer of danger ahead
- armament consisting of a long cylindrical self-propelled underwater projectile that detonates on contact with a target
- any sluggish bottom-dwelling ray of the order Torpediniformes having a rounded body and electric organs on each side of the head capable of emitting strong electric discharges
On this page, there are 20 sentence examples for torpedo. They are all from high-quality sources and constantly processed by lengusa's machine learning routines.
Just use the " " button to fragment sentence examples and start your learning flow.
Example output from one of your searches: